Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Label Reading = Avoiding Poisons

This past Sunday was the big day to go grocery shopping for foods that qualify under the Katelyn-gf diet. The first step was to go through the kitchen and throw out everything that had sugar (not natural), HFCS, and Hydrogenated oils. This was an extensive cleaning I must say, almost everything went from jellies to cereal. It took a lot of label reading as well. Finally, once our kitchen was rid of all its poisons we went to the grocery store, and there we spent countless more time reading labels. It was easier in Publix because if you haven't noticed, and I never did either until Sunday, that if it has a brown self label then it is considered organic, for further explanation click here.

This made it easier on the inside aisles with all the canned and boxed things to spot the brown labels and then check for the poisons, and for the most part that strategy worked well. One of the things that I did enjoy was the fact that I got to buy lots of fresh fruit that I normally don't get, even though I love it!

A quick note on my adventure into Earthfare, to try and scope out some sales and even though I have been in there several times, I was thrown for a complete loop. It was like I had Organic Food Shopping Disorientation (OFSD for short). I was wandering around the store, up and down the aisles, looking at all their product but not processing a single thing I was seeing. I felt like I wasn't in a human grocery store, and I got freaked out, wondering what I was even doing there in the first place. After a couple of laps around the store, I started noticing some things that were on sale, but I just couldn't quite get to where I needed to be to tackle the OFSD. I bought some Cape Cod chips and called it a day, determined that next time I go in there I will either take Alex with me or have a plan of attack.

Meals this week so far have been pretty simple, and the hardest part for me is making myself cook. We have enjoyed some chicken stir fry which consisted of boneless skinless chicken breasts, fresh California vegetables with soy sauce and sesame seeds. I even made a pot roast last night with carrots and potatoes, which I will probably leave to cooking in the crock pot from now on, it wasn't very moist. Also we even had pizza which I made a homemade sauce, which is exceptional if I do say so myself. We have also been cooking breakfast every morning which means we have to get up a little early, but the protein and fiber are doing a great job at holding me over until lunch time. Overall we have been trying to make sure we have protein, fiber, and a little fat with every meal, the only sugar I am consuming is the natural sugars found in the fruit that I eat.

I did find a wonderful article in the August issue of All You magazine about sugar in your food. It was a nice little read and I am going to do a little side blog about it within the next week or so. It will help me give you a little bit more information on how to look for sugar in your food, as well as what they suggest as some guidelines on the amount of sugar you should eat per types of food. So look forward to that soon!

Thanks for reading, and if you have any questions for me please feel free to ask them!

K8ers

No comments:

Post a Comment