Wednesday, July 21, 2010

A little vacation = a lot of eating.

Have you ever been on vacation, like to the beach or lake especially, and realize how much you are eating while you are there?  I went to the beach a couple of weeks ago for a friend's 21st birthday and it was ridiculous how much I ate and didn't even realize it. Plus it was his 21st birthday so of course we have to celebrate properly; you would be amazed at the calories in alcohol. Lets go through the standard trip to the beach, at least for most people I know.

On the drive down to the beach if you do not live near one, in this case Daytona Beach, Fl is 5 hours away from my town, you are more than likely going to have to stop for gas, am I correct? Well what do you do while you are at the gas station? More than likely you are going to get hungry and nothing healthy comes from a gas station. Not to mention the cooler of goodies we had in the back of the SUV conveniently placed so the person in the back seat could reach back and grab a soda or snack for you. When you go on a trip with skinny people, they tend to bring sugary fattening beverages and snacks so you aren't going to let your stomach growl the whole way. Plus, you weren't smart enough to bring anything healthy with you, so you eat the Turtle Chex Mix, but you were smart enough to bring a water bottle. Sugar and Calories? Check.

You arrive at your hotel and you notice it has a kitchenette in it, which is nice, because this means you can buy groceries, healthy groceries. Wrong... you can't just buy stuff nobody is going to eat. Sure you can buy you something good for breakfast, and make a semi-healthy turkey sandwhich for lunch, but who is going to drink a case of diet soda or water in 5 days? Good thing you still have that water bottle. Have you noticed this is your only ally on this trip? Turns out you get hamburgers and hotdogs for lunches and dinners for a couple of the days because they are pretty cheap. You have potato chips to go with them. Calorie? Check.

Lets not forget about the eating out. What is one of the major things you should eat when you go to the beach? Seafood! Duh! It's fresh from the ocean, unless you are in the Gulf of Mexico right now, in which case, not so fresh. Well you have to go to the best seafood restaurant in town to get the ultimate seafood experience. In my case it was Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. I have to say I did good in selecting the meal without fried shrimp and french fries... I had blackened shrimp and andouille sausage with a brandy sauce over mashed potatoes, delicious by the way, but not that great in low calorie or fat content. Not to mention I just HAD to have an alcoholic beverage because I wanted the souvenir glass that comes with it!  This was just one restaurant, I had Italian one night, Silders another. Also had Banana Pancakes for breakfast one morning, but I did use Sugar Free Syrup. Not that it really matters at this point. Calories? Fat? Sugar? Check. Check. And Check.

Being at the beach and having a swimming pool, I did work up an appetite. I know because I am working a lot of the food I eat off, but I hate how after swimming for 30 minutes you feel like you could eat a whale if you really tried. I did get to swim a good bit and because I remembered to bring a beach umbrella this time, I got to enjoy the actual beach and not have to hideout in the hotel room.

And on the way home you can replay the trip there in reverse but include all the important parts. Like the food.

Also my car has been in the shop for a week now and I have had the joy of bumming rides from people, which I hate doing but work is just to far to walk in this Georgia heat. I will say that I have walked home from school a few days. Not that its very far. A little over a mile, but a mile in the heat is not very much fun. You add the luxury of a 7 pound book-bag, a purse, and a laptop bag.... really not fun. Its funny because I joined the gym right before we left for the beach, and I still have yet to go. I have either been at school or work, and the gyms hours aren't very flexible with my schedule currently.


Also this past Sunday a bunch of people from work and friends played softball. We got there about 8:30 and Alex and I left at 11 because we had to get up so early in the morning. Softball doesn't hurt while you are playing it because your adrenaline is going but I tell you that the next couple days after, if you haven't worked out in a while, you hurt. I didn't even want to get out of the bed, but at the same time its a good kind of hurt that makes you want to go back for more. That is why I would rather play a sport than work out in a gym because you don't think about the workout while you are doing it.


So that has been the past couple of weeks. I am going to post my stats from last Friday, 7/16/10, and then I will hopefully have this weeks stats posted Friday or Saturday.


Weight: 249.8lbs
Fat: 45.1%
Water: 35.5%
Muscle: 22.3%
Cals: 1814


The Friday before that 7/9/10:

Weight: 252.0 lbs
Fat: 45.4%
Water: 35.1%
Muscle: 22.1%
Cals: 1804

Totals so far:
Weight: -25.6 lbs
Fat: -4.6%
Water: +3.9%
Muscle: +3.6%

Whoo! Finally crossed that 25lbs mark!

Katelyn

2 comments:

  1. "you would be amazed at the calories in alcohol"

    Good for me to know! I should get drunk more!!

    ReplyDelete